Tuesday, August 9, 2011

janet echelman

I happened across these photographs today, and as thumbnails, thought they were photo manipulations of shapes and color in space, done digitally.  It wasn't until I visited the artist's website, however, that I realized it was so much more.


These incredible forms are composed of fiber net, by artist Janet Echelman.  Her biography couldn't say it better: "American artist Janet Echelman reshapes urban airspace with monumental, fluidly moving sculpture that responds to environmental forces including wind, water, and sunlight." 

This takes fiber arts to the next level completely.


6 comments:

  1. She is good knitting inspiration! When I think of knitwear I often think of garments that are either stiff (in a good, bulky, structured way) or very tight and form-fitting. It seems that knitwear that is fluid and gossamer is only used in accessories like scarves or shawls. It would be cool to see knitwear garments (like gowns or coats) that were fluid and fibrous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! It is so fun to think about - for my knitwear collection next summer I really want to make knitwear that breaks the stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen anything like it before - her creations are so unique and so inspiring. We need more alternative art on show in the world to inspire people with their own! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! That's a real artist at work - and to make an installation on that kind of scale is breathtaking!


    Tikkitiboo + Ahka Vintage
    Enter our $200 Giveaway Here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so different that everything I've seen before! Really beautiful,thanks for sharing it :)
    xo xo from Belgium
    Serena

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - I read every single one and they mean so much to me that someone is reading!