Thursday, June 2, 2011

obsession : sweet lolita

Fashion is universal.  In high school I had always had a mild interest in the Japanese lolita styles, but never really dressed the part.  I recently ran across photos of the style, and my love for it came right back.  I figured I'd post about it because it is a style that is more unfamiliar in the United States, and while it may not be something you try, it is a fascinating source of inspiration and the lifestyle has an amazing otherworldly quality to it that really sucks you in. 

Lolita is a fashion subculture from Japan based on Victorian clothing.  It has many subtypes, and my favorite is sweet lolita.  More Rococo-influenced, this style features pale colors, pastels, bows, candy and fruit imagery, and anything falling under the "sweet" label. 

Skirts with border-prints are incredibly popular.  Typically outfits match head-to-toe (Source)

Makeup is kept natural.  The idea is to look childlike - neutral eyes, pink cheeks, powdery skin.  Nails are usually a very pale pink, lavender, or mint.  

 Yes, an American girl on the left.  Two-tone hairstyles are also popular, where 1/4 of the hair is a different shade.  Pastel hair is also very common.


It seems a little over-the-top, so how can we use this as inspiration?  Here are how some real girls are doing it:

 Mixing textures like rosettes and lace give a nod to femininity.  Pale florals are sweet and subtle.

Very understated - it's all in the pink socks and shoe - whereas on the right, it's all about ruffles and flowers.

Images from Chictopia.com; all other unsourced images from Tumblr.  If you know the source, posting would be much appreciated!

15 comments:

  1. So cool seeing this style integrated into less over the top looks! And the mint dress is amazing, I love that shade!

    cheers,
    --Megan//The Martian Tide

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is adorable! They're like little dolls.

    And I'm glad you liked the "how to do it for real" section! I was trying to tie it in a little. And oh man I also love that mint dress, that color is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mentioned that Lolita is a subculture. Do most of the girls who adhere to this fashion scene dress this elaborately everyday? If so, it must take them a while to get ready in the morning. Wonderful inspiration!

    www.aussie-blue.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe so! I don't know any personally, though from looking at blogs it appears this is how they dress every day. I agree, it would be exhausting to put on that much stuff each day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look so cute... i love this culture :) xoxo
    http://thesugarplumfairysmagic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! i really love these looks :D All sweet and cute, it just makes me want to eat cupcakes all day! hihihi! Your blog is very nice and clean and easy to read! I'll be expecting more soon :D
    Your blogger buddy
    Korlei,

    From (My blog)>

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have friends from high school that dress like that, it looks really cool but I don't know if I could ever see myself wearing it.

    Janet

    smalltownguidetostyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post....I loved all the incredible fashion when I was in Japan a few years ago...thanks for posting and thanks for the lovely comment on my blog...just followed!
    Love K
    http://www.lovek.org

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a huge fan of lolita, but I've got to say that it's pretty adorable! I'm in love with that first toned-down outfit on the bottom, the top and lace shorts are gorgeous!!! Great post! (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg i love all of these pastel girly looks!!

    <3 steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh,this is so adorable!I love pink!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you've transferred the look to real life - such a great idea! The sweet lolita look is adorable, but I'd never be able to pull it off! I'll have to settle for the 3D rose jumper from American Apparel ;)

    -j
    sorelle in style

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely post..love the two-tone hair.. :D



    xoxo,
    Miss Aa
    http://miss-aa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - I read every single one and they mean so much to me that someone is reading!