Wednesday, December 28, 2011

designer : alexis bittar

I received an Alexis Bittar bracelet for Christmas, the jewelry designer known for his exquisite brushed lucite pieces.  For those who are unfamiliar with his work, I thought I would post a little bit about him.

Bittar first became interested in jewelry when his parents gave him an antique piece as a gift.  After attending design school, he was asked to design a stainless steel and lucite furniture collection for the Cooper Hewitt Museum in 1996.  Thus began the lucite love affair, leading him to his contemporary line for which he is most known.  He has since then won the CFDA Accessory Designer of the Year award.  While he designs with metals and gems as well, his lucite pieces are my favorite.
My new bracelet above!

Fascinating, no?  The brushed lucite (which has an incredible texture like the fake ice inside the glacier/ice age section of a natural history museum) has a beautiful "fogged glass" effect.  When held up from the side, the lucite appears clear.  Yet at any angle, from the color painted on the inside of the bracelet, the lucite "glows" in that shade.  It is very intriguing.  I love the mix of soft lucite with hard metals and stones.

This is a designer I will be keeping my eye on.  His unique designs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - I read every single one and they mean so much to me that someone is reading!