Sunday, January 23, 2011

sunday photoshoot

Today, my sister, mom and I went down to the Essex Studio (the home of the American Sign Museum) to shoot photos for my portfolio. I wanted some actual shots that weren't just "here's my garment!" but had lighting and scenery considered as well.

Here are some photos of the things we shot, and details about each project!


Note the superior lighting quality.

What: "worm" cowl
Material: Malabrigo Merino Worsted yarn in "Loro Barranquero"; I used almost a full two skeins, or just around 400 yards.
Details: Instant gratifiation project! It was simply garter stitch for three rows then you purl for five (r0ws), knit for four, repeat. I chose this colorway because of the way it would pop against my coat. It can be worn doubled up (like in the picture) or loose around the neck.



What: my final blouse project for school; the assignment was to use a collar, a sleeve, and some form of closure (I used a ribbon-tie collar, a bishop sleeve, and buttoned cuffs)
Material: organza (polyester, shh don't tell!) with a rayon collar and placket detail
Details: I designed this to have a loose, swingy trapeze shape. I also adore anything sheer, and I love that you can see every detail underneath it. I used a narrow rolled hem, and every seam is a French seam.



What: red dress project for the Red Heart Association
Material: silk dupioni, a polyester lining, and lots and lots of Swarovski crystals and czech seed beads! There is also wide horsehair braid inside the bow for stiffening
Details: This was our first "real" design project: to create a red cocktail dress that represented what we thought the color "red" meant, as well as who we are as a designer. I love classic femininity, so I wanted to create a play on the modern "power dress" by creating a simple, feminine silhouette and then a giant, I've-got-confidence bow sitting on the shoulder. Because I am all about detail, I hand-beaded the bow. There are over 1,000 beads on that thing!



What: my final skirt project for school
Material: a chrome, a lilac, and a hot pink silk dupioni
Details: I love paper-bag waisted garments! And though these two pictures don't show it, it has 20 hand-covered buttons running down the front as a closure.



What: lace blouse, just made it for fun!
Material: a synthetic lace fabric with metallic gold and navy threads, on a black base. Found this on sale, and couldn't say no.
Details: This one also has French seams. However, I used the natural lace edging for the hem, and the selvedge for the sleeve hem, because they were too pretty! There is a center-back seam (I love those) and pleating around the neckline.

Now to work on the website.

2 comments:

Thank you so much for leaving a comment - I read every single one and they mean so much to me that someone is reading!